Safety is a top priority for everyone from first-year tenants to long-standing Residents. Your apartment is your sanctuary, an area where you are able to feel shielded and at ease. Keeping that feeling is important to the well-being of your loved ones and even your pets. Learning good safety measures and making a few updates to your home will help keep you away from harm. Just use these simple recommendations for securing your apartment in Bloomington.
Always Go With “Safety First”
Your community already has some security implements set up to help keep tenants out of danger, but you need to engage with them properly! Be sure to shut all gates and doors after using them, especially if it is only used with a passcode or key from a tenant, like a workout area or swimming pool. If your property has a buzzer system or keypads to gain entry, use them only for your own visitors. Allowing in someone you don’t know could create a hazardous situation for everyone at the property!
Speaking of your fellow occupants, they play a vital role in securing your apartment in Bloomington. Take time to meet your neighbors and figure out who lives in which unit. That familiarity helps you discern if any questionable people are loitering about. Your fellow tenants may also be the first people to respond should an incident take place. In the end, safety is everyone’s responsibility!
Devices to Secure Your Apartment in Bloomington
Security tools are key to proper security. Learn about some well-known and effective devices and how to use them:
- Door locks: Your access points like your main entry are equipped with locks - use them! Invaders try to find the path of least resistance. Remembering to lock your doors and windows at night and prior to leaving is often enough to discourage the common thief.
- Security bar: A sliding door that opens to a back porch is often a big target. Installing a security bar on the track to stop it from moving makes it almost impossible to break into.
- Security cameras: Your apartment complex might have security cameras put up to protect Residents, but integrating your own is wise. Situate them near entryways like your sliding rear door or above a central walkway in the apartment to maintain a close watch.
- Automated lights: A straightforward trick for securing your apartment in Bloomington is to use lights that will make prospective intruders believe you’re in the apartment. Smart lights that can be programmed to turn on at specified times or activated with a mobile device app can make it appear like people are inside.
- Window coverings: As simple as it may appear, restricting views into your place keeps prized possessions away from curious onlookers and keeps criminals guessing if you’re inside.
Getting Your Front Door Rekeyed Is A Smart Measure
Before you move in, it’s wise to find out if the main entry lock has been rekeyed. Making sure you have updated locks is wise to make sure the previous occupant can’t gain access to your new place. In the event it hasn’t been updated, this is a job the property owner should handle for you.
Renters Insurance Is Smart To Have
Regardless of whether you implement these tips on how to secure your apartment in Bloomington, tenant insurance is still essential. Your provider will back you up and aid you in replacing stolen or damaged items should something happen. Put your mind at ease with a tenant insurance policy.
Excited To Pick Your New Apartment In Bloomington?
Now that you know how to secure your apartment in Bloomington, it’s time to find your new home at City Flats at Renwick. We have sizeable units, courteous team members, and the popular amenities you are looking for. Contact us at or schedule a tour to start the process.